Derek - holland, Michigan

This I believe

The point is not to become a leader. The point is to become yourself, and to use yourself completely – all your gifts, skills and energies – to make your vision manifest. You must withhold nothing. You must, in sum, become the person you started out to be, and to enjoy the process of becoming. This is the quote by Warren Brennis that our communications class used as its theme. I am a senior at Hope College with one semester left and God willing a long life ahead of me. The vision I have of my life is to someday get into a position where I can use my leadership skills to help others. When I leave Hope College I envision my life somewhere in the insurance business. I feel like I can use the gifts, skills, and energies that God blessed me with to become a successful leader. I have been told that I have the uncanny ability to lead people by example. One day I hope I can be part of a business where I have employees working for me. I feel like the harder I work the harder they will work. In the process of becoming myself I am being molded by my family, friends, and basketball. They have such an impact on my life and my life choices and everyday is another learning experience. My family has brought me up in a Christian environment and has supported me through college financially and athletically. My friends have a huge impact on my life because I am around them everyday and the ups and downs that we have had in the past have molded me to be a better person for the future. I am becoming myself through basketball as I am the point guard on our team. Being the on the floor leader of our team is a hard task to have but I think I have done it effectively since I’ve been here. Keeping a positive attitude even when things are not going my way is another thing that I have learned on the basketball court and I’ve done a great job of handling adversity. I’ve learned so much since I’ve been at Hope College and I feel like the experiences and knowledge that I have gained here will help me in my future as I become myself. I have enjoyed the process of becoming myself and I pray that I will continue to keep an open mind as I go out into the workplace and find my true identity as a leader.