Christina - Wilmington, Massachusetts

As I sit here and write this paper, I am forced to let my thoughts run wild, and let my mind take a stroll down memory lane. What do I believe? That is the short four word question I have to ask myself. It seems so easy, but yet it is so hard. So hard to think of just one thing I believe in, when clearly there is so much.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe things should not be taken for granted. I believe that life can be over in the blink of an eye. And last but not least, I believe that we should live every day as if it is our last, as well as appreciate the little things in life.

On June 21st of 2002, my life almost ended. Actually, it was not just my life, my mother’s life almost ended as well. I was in the car with her leaving the hospital because I had a concussion. It was a bright summer day. The temperature was perfect, the time of day, just everything. Nothing seemed like it could go wrong. Turns out, I was wrong. The minute we turned onto South Boarder Road, my life changed.

As we were proceeding straight in our lane, a slightly smaller car approaching us in the opposite lane, switched into ours, and hit my mother and me head on. The airbags exploded, my seatbelt locked, and I saw people running franticly by my car screaming and dialing 911. My mom’s cell phone rang. All I heard was my mom yelling to tell my Aunt to call my dad. My mom turned around with blood streaming down her face. With her foot folded in half and her hand swelling, she asked me if I was ok. She was trying to comfort me, acting like her injuries were nothing. I was crying so hard that I thought I would blow up. I looked down at my small foot, it was covered in blood. I could barely breathe. Next thing I know, fire fighters and EMT’s were breaking down the door in the car to get us out. We were rushed to the hospital in an ambulance together. I was holding her fragile broken hand while lying down on a terribly uncomfortable stretcher.

In the hospital, we were split up. We both went through many tests and x-rays. I was able to leave around one the next morning. My mother however, had to stay for a while. She broke her foot in half, and shattered part of her hand. She was in a wheelchair for 16 weeks during that summer.

I became a different person after the accident. At first, I was upset and unforgiving. It took me a while to not be angry anymore. I was angry with the fact it happened to me. How could anything so terrible happen to me? I never did anything wrong.

What made everything worse for me was that it was not just an accident, it could have been prevented. One person’s mistake led to all of this. One person’s mistake to drink and drive. We were not just hit by any person; we were hit by a drunk driver. And after the accident, I learned that it can happen to anyone. I, Christina Brown, just an ordinary kid who loves to dance and have fun, was hit by a drunk driver. The thing is, I came to realize that it did happen for a reason. Also, why did I survive? No one is ever going to give me the answer; I have to find it myself.

I believe that I survived, so people do not have to go through what I went through. Call me crazy, but I believe that I can save someone’s life. I know not everyone is going to listen to me, but someone will. Someone is going to hear what I have to say, and they won’t drink and drive.

Yes, I do believe in many things. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe things should not be taken for granted. I believe that life can be over in the blink of an eye. I believe that we should live every day as if it is our last, as well as appreciate the little things in life. I also believe that I can make a difference, and I know that I can and will, as long as I believe.