I Believe We Died Together

Jessica - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

When I was younger my best friend Tiffany and I were inseparable. We knew each other since I was five and she was four years old. Her mother babysat me, while my mother and father were away at work, and my grandmother couldn’t watch me, while she was away at her Home Interior parties. Tiffany and I were always at one of the other’s house. Tiffany and I went to school and church together. She was the only one that could understand me. She was the one that kept me out of trouble, even though we would get into trouble together with our parents, or teachers. She gave me advice about life, school, and sometimes even guys. I would return the favor for her, when she needed it. We kept each other from going crazy, and stressing out about school, guys, family, and religion. When we were younger we told each other that we would always die together, because we wouldn’t be able to live life without the other. I never thought for a second that I would be without her. We fought at times, just like real siblings do, but we would always make up; telling the other that they were sorry.

On September 17th, of 2003, I came home from school early, because I finished everything. I got home and listened to the answer machine. There was a message from my cousin Brittanie telling me that Tiff had been shot, and that she was dead. I didn’t believe it. I left to go to Tiff’s house to see her, only to see her family talking to friends and family outside. My heart fell to the pit of my stomach, when I realized that my cousin wasn’t lying this time. Lucy and Bobby, Tiffany’s parents asked me if they knew why this might have happened to her, and I couldn’t think of one reason. Later I found out that Tiff left school, that morning with a girl from her class. They had gone to Houchens parking lot were Tiffany and this girl was found dead that same afternoon. Tiffany was shot in the side, where the bullet ended up killing her instantly. As for the other girl she shot herself in the head, maybe because she was scared of what might have happened to her if she was found guilty of killing someone. When Tiffany died a part of me died right along with her. Seeing my best friend in a coffin wasn’t what I or anyone else that knew and loved her wanted. I would have taken her place if I could have. I believe that we died together in that parking lot. My last name is Houchens, and Tiffany was close to me when she died, so we were together. Rest In Peace Baby Girl You Are Always Thought Of And Loved.