Christine - Wilmington, Massachusetts

Christine Woods

12/10/07

Age: 15

Wilmington High School

Wilmington MA

This I Believe Essay

I believe that you should follow your heart. I believe that you only have one life and you should not be afraid to take chances.

Life is short; it’s not just some little game that we can play and then if we don’t like the outcome, we can start over again. The game of life can not be played again, and you cannot go back in time. I have had to make many decisions in my life recently since am getting older. A lot of times these decisions have come down to what is smart and what my heart wants. Going into my sophomore year of high school I had to make what I thought was the biggest decision of my life. I had to choose between dance and basketball. I knew that I had to make this decision so over the summer I participated in dance and basketball camps to help make my decision.

In my opinion I was a better dancer than basketball player, but I had to ask myself: What makes me happy? Now I loved basketball, many of my friends played basketball and I have a lot of fun playing. On the other hand, in Dance, I only had one of my good friends that danced with me, but when I was there I was happy, and it made me feel good. I was basically stuck in a tough decision because I couldn’t do both activities because the schedules were just too similar. They were both intense and asked for 100% participation from me 100% of time. I couldn’t miss dance for basketball or basketball for dance because it wasn’t fair to either of the teams.

Then one day at dance camp, I was taking a jazz class and the teacher walks in and says, “The dance we will be learning today will be emotional. I want you to dance out your emotions; I don’t care if you look stupid or feel stupid, just dance how you feel.” So he gave us the choreography, and we practiced for a while. Then, we did it in groups and the people who weren’t dancing watched. At the time, I had some personal issues going on in my life. My friend had recently betrayed me and I had a hard time dealing with it. He did something that got him into a lot of trouble and he just totally lost my trust and I felt so hurt. When we were dancing and practicing the song the teachers says, “Just pretend there is someone who hurt you really bad and you just want to get closure on the situation and tell them goodbye.” I pictured my friend sitting in the room and I let out my emotions. I still remember the lyrics of the song:

“This is the way you left me, I’m not pretending. No hope, no love, no glory, no Happy Ending. This is the way that we love, like its forever.

Then live the rest of our life, but not together. Wake up in the morning, stumble on my life can’t get no love without sacrifice if anything should happen, I guess I wish you well a little bit of heaven, but a little bit of hell

This is the hardest story that I’ve ever told no hope, or love, or glory Happy endings gone forever more I feel as if I’m wasting’ And I’m wasting’ everyday.”

When the teacher looked at me and said, “I can really feel your emotions when you dance,” my decision was made. I knew that I wanted to dance. Dance was a way for me to let my emotions out and a way for me to calm down when I was upset. At that point in my life I knew where heart was. Every night when I come home from dance I am always in a good mood and I know that I made the right decision.

I believe in following your heart because you never know when you might look back on a situation and regret the decision. If you follow your heart then you will never wonder what would have happened. If don’t follow your heart then you will be always be unhappy in some, even if you don’t think that you are. Sometimes life is about taking chances because you never know when you will get another opportunity like that one again. I believe that life is too short, so learn to trust your heart, and take chances.