A - Napoleon, Ohio

Mistakes are inevitable and we must learn from them. Mistakes are technically the foundation by which all of our successes begin and endure. It is only human to make mistakes and even those that seem like mistakes at the time, may turn into our feats. That is the beauty of my belief. No one can really expect someone to be perfect. Perfection is impossible.

The most honest statement I have ever written is ‘Mistakes are ways we can be a better person’. For instance, I knew my mother as the ‘Queen of Mistakes.’ Having a known background of failed marriages and mental instability, she was the epitome of one’s mistakes you could learn from. Sometimes it takes people to hit rock bottom to realize that they need to change their lifestyle. Today, she is a clean conservative who participates in my younger brother’s PTA meetings and has a full-time job.

On a more personal note, I’ve made my share of mistakes. I would do illegal activities, skip school, and was a known runaway for the most part. It even took me until I lost everything, my job, my scholarship, my possessions, even the attention of my family to realize that I had not learned from my mistakes. I guess I had some sort of epiphany and realized that I had to change my lifestyle. Now, I am back in school, even though the days could be anything less than bearable.

To say that a person never make mistakes is to say that they have never breathed. Everyone has their regrets at some point even though they may not realize it until it is too late. Life is not easy. Some people can make mistakes without even realizing them. For instance, a person may use the wrong kind of oil in a recipe for a cake. Not thinking it would matter; they go ahead and use the oil. My point is, that one little tablespoon of oil could make the whole cake go bad. I guarantee that the oil would not be used for the same recipe.

My point is that mistakes are inevitable. A person has to be careful to realize what the mistake is and make sure to be careful the next time they enter that situation. Unless you are a celebrity, the media just embraces that. I have learned that I have to be sure about the difference between flaws and mistakes. Mistakes are realized at the moment we feel regret. If you live to regret, then you regret to live.