A. - Napoleon, Ohio

As a child, my parents always told me that they would love me no matter what. I am sure that many other parents have told their own children the exact same thing. Unfortunately, everyone disappoints their parents or other family members sometimes, but it is comforting to know that they will always have the ability to forgive you. I believe that a person can always come back to their family, and that their family should always be there with open arms.

I have always heard that a person can pick their friends, their job, their spouse, but they cannot pick their family. One must make the best of what they are born into. But this is not necessarily true. What is the exact definition of family? Is it the people a person is related to by blood or by marriage? Or can a person choose their family? I believe family is what the person makes of it; they can choose their own family because a person’s family members are supposed to be the people that are closest to the person in their life and in their heart. One will always be able to count on to their family, even if it is the family they made themselves.

Families can be small or consist of many, but, whatever the size, a family is a trusting unit of people who love and forgive each other. When I was younger, my parents would get angry with me when I would throw a temper-tantrum, disappointed in me when I misbehaved in school, and frustrated with me when I became a moody teenager. However, they somehow found it in themselves to forgive me and continue to love me. I have lost count of how many times I have gotten mad at my younger sisters, but I eventually forgive them. That’s automatically what I think of when I think of family: forgiveness.

Truthfully, I don’t think I could get through one day without my family. This does not only include my immediate family, but my friends as well. I consider my friends my family because I love them like my own sisters and my parents love them as much as they love me. Anyone can create their own family out of the people they love most. I believe that a person can always count on the family they create.

A. Lankenau