C - Napoleon, Ohio

John Dorian, who is portrayed by Zach Braff on the television show Scrubs, once said, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will sting forever”. I believe that even though some people may act like what people say is harmless and that it doesn’t matter, words still sting the feelings inside. People want to have a shield up that hides their true feelings. I know this is true because I have had my feelings stung from hurtful words numerous times.

When I was about seven years old, I played basketball for a local team. I was really happy about playing and making new friends. I went to all the practices and worked as hard as I could to make myself better. After two weeks of practice, we had our first game and I was as excited. The seconds turned in to minutes, and the minutes turned in to hours. By the end of the game, I was still sitting on the bench and, I never got up to play. I looked at my coach, but he was too focused on the game to worry about what everyone else was doing. After six games and the same thing happening over and over, I didn’t get a minute of playing time. So I asked my coach why I never got to play. He said that I was too short. That was it. That was all he said. I was so hurt, but I tried to get better to make it seem like my height didn’t matter, and when the end of the season rolled around I found myself never seeing one minute of playing time on the court. That was the last time I was on a basketball team.

Another time when I was in fourth grade, I was sitting on a swing during recess and noticed some of my friends playing kickball with some of the popular kids. I ventured over to the game and asked if I could play. They said no. The next day, I made sure that I was the first out on the field and in line to play. When they started picking teams, I noticed that they picked the popular kids first, but I didn’t really think about it too much. As time passed, I realized that I was almost the only one left. Well it happened, I was the last one to be picked for kickball. Then, it got worse. No one wanted me on their team, and they told me to go play by myself. I couldn’t believe it. My friends didn’t even want to play with me, and I was all by myself. When people say hurtful words about someone else, they never realize the long term effect it has on that person. Even though nothing too mean or hurtful was said, it still made me feel bad inside and it took a while for me to heal inside.

C. Wenner