Christopher - El Paso, Texas
Themes: freedom

I believe in free speech. The ability to think for yourself without anyone telling you want you can or can’t say or think. If you see something is wrong you have the chance to speak against it. Are you willing to die for your belief?

All my life I have read history books that thought me about people who spoke out against the grain. Dr. Martin Luther king Jr. He to me is the definition of freedom of speech. He had the courage to speak out against the norm of society. He moved a lot of people with his words even till this day. He spoke over to a million people in Washington D.C. He help a race fight for equal rights, which till this now every race has the equal rights. He strongly believed in his belief that it cost him his life. How many people are willing to do that? I also feel that no matter who you are, no one has the right to talk down to you. It doesn’t matter if you’re older or you got a college degree you don’t have the right to speak down to anyone. You might not think that words have power but they do. They are as powerful as how you use them. They can move people to think they can create songs or poems. The ability to speak with you own thoughts and feelings is the divine right of all human beings. That is why it’s in our first amendment.

In school I had this feeling about expressing yourself, if I saw something was that I didn’t believe was right. I went to student council meetings to give my input about what the class should do with our money. I didn’t always win but I did know that I put my idea out there for everyone can hear. I also put my opinion in class discussion. It’s a wonderful feeling to show you can think for yourself when everyone is against you. A lot of people get nervous when they speak. They get a feeling of embarrassment, like they’re doing something wrong. If something is hard then it’s worth doing it in most cases. Speaking is a very difficult task sometimes but in the end it’s all worth it.

Free speech is a great thing but it can become abuse if done wrong. Just because you have the right doesn’t mean you’re always right. It doesn’t give you the right to say anything slander. Free speech was created to speak out for what is right and protect was is right. I believe that my one more belief is in everyone else is belief because they are speaking without consequences. In the end you have the right to judge my work without any consequence. You have the power to think for yourself. You may think this essay suck. But you still read it. My idea was read and is planted in your head.