M. - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that the power of art is so strong that it has the ability to help me through whatever obstacles I must endure throughout my life. Self-expression is one of the key components to a healthy life. Singing, dancing, playing an instrument, painting, performing are all amazing ways to pour out out your inner feelings and thoughts in a fun and creative way.

Being able to tell someone your personal views is difficult, but essential. Keeping these feelings bottled up inside oneself is very unhealthy and not a good idea. When I was younger, there were not many people in my life, besides my parents, that I felt that I could go to and tell my deepest thoughts. When I was twelve years old, I found the theatre, and it has drastically changed my life. I no longer have to keep emotions to myself to the point that I just want to scream until I puke. Since I have found the beauty of this wonderful form self-expression, I have been releasing my emotions onto the stage and it has helped me immensely. I have numerous friends who have found that the power of art, in a variety of forms, has helped them through rough points in their lives and given them a way to properly express themselves and escape the typical day-to-day stress.

A person can learn so many things about themselves through their art that they might never have even considered, all by working on one particular piece. I find that it is important to be constantly learning new things about myself so that I don’t end up the same boring person all of my life. Every time I start working on a new play, I am forced to face new thoughts and ideas as well as ask myself many questions.

To communicate with this language that we call art, is complicated. The more that I work on a piece, the more I learn about my art. This is a language that can never be mastered and is changing from day to day. Each new piece is a new experience that I love, cherish and carry it with me through the rest of my life. I have found that with art, all things are possible and that it makes life a bit easier to live and a bit more fun too.