A - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

Life is hard, and we face many challenges and obstacles in our lives. We have a lot of rough patches and also a lot of happy moments. When something in our life goes wrong, sometimes we feel like we just can’t go on. Sometimes we feel like we are stuck in a certain depressed moment that we just cannot get out of. A friend of mine had lost one of their really good friends. I looked upon her as if she were stuck, almost as if the depression had taken her over. She was in a depression that she just could not get out of. She did not want to feel that way, she just did. She knew that she had a lot of friends who she could go to and talk to but she did not see it that way at all. All she wanted to see was the bad things instead of the good things in life. That one door has closed and another one had opened. Although I look upon the past I fail to see the future. My mother once said, “ People change, time moves on, and don’t dwell in the past for it won’t last. Time to move forward and don’t look back, for the past will get you and stop you dead in your tracks.”

My mothers saying influences me a lot in the decisions I make in life. I think what makes life so hard is what happens in the past. Another example of a door that has opened and closed is if I were in a long-term relationship and I was really content about where my relationship was. Then my relationship turned abusive so I became very unhappy. That door of happiness has closed for me, but another opportunity is waiting for me. It is an opportunity for me to meet someone who will love me, and treat me right. It is so hard for me to see that there is another door of happiness waiting for me, because I used to be so happy in my last relationship. It is hard for people to see that there are so many more opportunities out there waiting for them. It’s whether they feel that they can open that door, and take that chance on life.

Life has many challenges but I take them day, by day. Don’t get stuck in the past for I will end up hurting the ones I love in the future. Doors will close and past memories will slowly fade; yet a plethora of opportunities will prevail. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that I should leave the past in the past and concentrate more on the present, and the future.