Rachel - New Philadelphia, Ohio

I Believe In Surrender to God: My Childhood Story

That night, on January 3, 1998, I knelt down with my dad in front of our couch, tears in both of our eyes, earnestly praying to God. What took place on that night was not only the best moment of my life, but also, I believe, the most important and life-changing. I could have never experienced the type of life I am living right now if it wasn’t for that night.

For a few months before, I had been very distressed. Oddly, I was only seven years old. God really tugged on my heart through those months, though. I knew what was truly wrong. God was wanting to come into my life and be my Father. I laid in bed that night completely restless. Finally, I was almost forced to get out of bed because I couldn’t handle the awakening any longer. I made my way down the steps and into the kitchen, trying to hide my arousal by asking my dad for a drink of water. Once I was handed the water, I lost it. I told Dad that I wanted to get saved.

He took me to the couch and drew a very helpful picture for me. It consisted of two cliffs with a deep pit in the middle. I was on one side of the cliff, and God was on the other. There was nothing I could possibly do on my own to try to get to God. I couldn’t memorize Bible verses or go to church. Every time I would try to get to God, I would fall in the pit of sin because I wasn’t perfect. Dad said that this was the reason Jesus died. He drew a cross that made a bridge so I was able to cross it and reach God. Dad also showed me a variety of Bible verses that had to do with me being a sinner and my need for Jesus.

As a result, I prayed something like this: I know I am a sinner. I believe that you died and rose again because you were the only perfect one who could forgive my sins. Please forgive me for living for myself. Come into my heart and be the Lord over it. I love you.

Since then until now, I cannot express in words how unbelievably amazing my life is. I can now talk to God in prayer. He shows me things through His word. He talks to me by giving me this feeling, this voice inside my heart, that tells me what is the right thing to do in certain situations. He comforts me when I am sad. He is the reason I am in a good mood most of the time. I am so thankful for God’s gift to me. I honestly don’t know what I would do without it.