Because He’s My Dad

Francesca - Rome, New York
Themes: family, love

I believe in unconditional love. Not necessarily the kind of love you read about in a fairytale, or the kind that you see in the latest blockbuster movies, but I believe in loving someone through the hardest of times.

As I sit here in front of my half broken cell phone that picks and chooses when it would like to let me dial out, I battle with my head and my heart over a simple phone call. No, it’s not a call to my prince charming or my knight in shining armor. It’s not a call to my best friend that just so happens to be my older sister. It’s not a call to my loving mother where I draw my strength, and it’s certainly not going to be a call from “daddy’s little girl,” but it is in fact a call to my father.

Since my parents got a divorce when I was about 17 years old, talks with my father are few and far between. I haven’t spoken to him since August and I realize on this cold December day that it’s been four months. While debating about the phone call I’m so hesitant to make, I remember the bad times. I remember my childhood. No, it wasn’t all bad memories, but the bad were the very worst. It was the fights on holidays, it was the ruined birthday parties, it was the days we moved to Grandma’s house and it was the slap in the face I’d get. But most of all, I remember crying to my mother as a child and swearing I’d never get married. It was times like those that won’t let me reach for the phone.

It was the laughs during our favorite movies, it was helping Dad outside, it was learning how to drive, and it is now learning that he is sick that is finally getting me to reach for my cell phone. I believe that it is the unconditional love that I have for my father that brings me to be a bigger person who is able to overcome a childhood that may not have been picture perfect.

I believe that it is unconditional love that gives me the ability to look at what seems to be a changed man and forgive him for the wrong he has done. I believe it is unconditional love that makes me realize that my half broken cell phone really is only broken half of the time, and that I can make the call I know that I need to make, while I still have the chance. This I believe.