Life is What You Make It

J. - Napoleon, Ohio

Life is what you make of it. Life is only as fun as you make it for yourself. I am a camp counselor during the summer. My experiences with kids at camp have made me realize that life is what you make out of it. Every year, I see some shy young kid that does not have a fun time at camp because he or she does not get involved with the activities. I have told many campers that camp is what you make of it. I was once a first year camper who did not know anyone, and the first couple of days I didn’t have fun till I got more involved in the activities. I decided right then and there, as a ten year old, I was only going to have as much fun at camp as I made it. I’ve been going back to camp every year since.

I think the statement that camp is as fun as I made it applies to my life also; life is what I make out of it. What making the most out of my life means to me is being optimistic and taking advantage of the opportunities that life gives me. This means living my life without having regrets. Even in the hard times, I to try to be happy because my life is only as miserable as I make it. I think that it is important to stay positive.

There are a lot of things that complicate our lives and there is nothing you can do about it but just keep going on with your life. This philosophy, life is what I make out of it, seems too simple sometimes when our lives get complicated and we experience hard times. I think this is the key though, making life simpler by living this simple philosophy. It is not easy always being positive, but it is important to know that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Its times like those were you just have to go out and live your life and make your life what you want it to be.