Tomorrow Before Yesterday

Kenzie - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

The past is something people dwell on. Things that happened yesterday affect who we are today. There is no way to forget the regretful things we have done in the past. I spend many minutes of the day thinking of things I have done in my past, from yesterday, all the way to last year. Also, I think about why I dwell on the past. It’s hard to forget mistakes and situations that I have dealt with. My friends and I have done a lot of dumb things; we were young and stupid. Everyone remembers those days, and the memories never seem to go away.

People, along with myself, tend to let the past run our lives. No one should be told how to live his or her life. I was always shy when I was younger and did not want to do things myself. I lived my life not knowing what do. When I entered high school I realized how much I was missing out on life. I went to a lot of parties and did things I regret today. I was no longer a shy, goody-two-shoes girl. I spent each day living it to the fullest while still managing my academic work at school. Yet, I sometimes still catch myself dwelling on those days in the past.

No one knows when his or her final day is going to come. So, why worry about things we have done yesterday? People never know what tomorrow could bring. What motivates me to keep going is to not live my life based on the things I have done in my past. Dwelling on the past makes people miss the things that come in the future. Tomorrow can pass right by us without us even knowing.

When a middle-aged person is asked if they miss being a teenager, what do the majority say? They say how much they miss being younger, and they remember almost everything about being young. Before I know it, I will all be in their position. It will come faster than I anticipate. I believe in learning from yesterday, and hoping for tomorrow to come even when the things I do in the past may affect my future. What we do today can and will always affect our futures.