Making Mistakes Is Learning

J. - Napoleon, Ohio

Everybody makes mistakes. Even if it is the smallest and simplest mistake, everybody learns. I do something I know is wrong, and, I get caught. I am told not to make the same mistake by an adult. An example is when I knew that my parents told me not to have friends over at my house. I invited them over when my parents were away for the weekend. My next-door neighbor knew I wasn’t suppose to have guests over at the house because she was told by my parents that if I have people over at my house, she should report it to them. When my parents arrived home, they were upset. They grounded me and made me do extra chores. Although I did not like being punished, I learned a valuable lesson. Listening to my parents is not exciting, but I have to listen to their wisdom. When they found out what I had done wrong, I felt better because I learned from the mistake from my own experience. All along, I knew that doing something behind my parents’ backs and disobeying them was wrong. I never did anything like that again.

I have learned a lot by observing others’ mistakes. If the person is a friend, I kindly correct them. A friend once attempted to take a candy bar from the candy store. He wanted the candy so bad, and, he did not have a dollar to pay for it. He got the bar and went straight through the door when the cashier was looking the other direction. I yelled at him for trying to leave the store without paying for his candy. He was hurt inside, but he learned a very valuable lesson that stealing is wrong. He said that I was a good influence after I corrected him. Afterwards, I told him that he was lucky to have a friend like me to support and coach him in small mistakes like this.

Generally, no matter who we are, we all make mistakes. We are all God’s creation, and He created us for a reason. He did not intend for all men to be perfect like He is; therefore, He made all of us to live and learn. If we were all perfect, then life would be pointless and wasted. We need to make a mistake in order to live in God’s trust and faith. After we make a mistake, we must promise to Him not to make the same mistake. God will always forgive us because, to Him, all mistakes are the same.