T - Napoleon, Ohio

Growing up I was raised in a Christian family, and attending church and Sunday school every week. I attended a small parochial school where I learned about the Lord everyday. My faith was always a huge part of my life. After I was confirmed and graduated the eighth grade, I went on to high school. This was a big change for me. No longer would I be taught about God every day.

Peer pressure and temptation in high school is hard to resist. Being involved in activities and spending time with my friends became more of a priority to me than my faith. Instead of going to God with my problems, I would go to my friends. I started to feel as if I was becoming distanced from God. Once I realized that I wasn’t acting like myself, I decided that I needed to change. I started living my life according to how I wanted to live rather than how others wanted me to live. I started being who I wanted to be.

Everyone should live life by his or her own beliefs. One of the most important thoughts I have is to live by my own beliefs. So many times, people try to please others rather than doing what they know to be right. In high school, peer pressure is so hard to stand up against, but when I fight against it, it gives me the greatest feeling of accomplishment. There are so many things in this world that are more important than fitting in, or being cool, and each of us must figure out what it is that is important to us. People have always told me that I can be whatever I want to be, but when I feel so pressured to fit in it is hard to stand up for what I truly believe.

Whenever I feel tempted to do something that I know is wrong, I try to think of my faith and what I believe, it always seems to help me make the better choice. Standing up for who you want to be means not giving into others and the sins of this world. I will continue fighting against temptation and doing what I know is right. I now know that with God there is no temptation that I cannot resist. I must continue to stay strong and live by what I believe is right.

T. Damman