J - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: setbacks

Life is Not Fair

Sometimes in life, I just have to ask myself, “Why Me.” The ball just doesn’t bounce on my side of the court all the time. There have been some major cases in my life, where the ball didn’t bounce my way. In a lot of ways, life just isn’t fair all the time. One time, my parents were not fair to my brother and I at all. One Saturday night, my family decided to order some pizza. Back then; my parents didn’t understand how much their kids could eat, so they only got two large pizzas. My family consists of seven people; and two pizzas are not enough for a family of seven. When the pizza’s came, we quickly dug in, all the pieces were gone except for one. Now back when I was younger, I wasn’t as fast as an eater as I am now. I had only had one piece and I was working on my second. My parents asked all my brothers and I who wanted the last piece of pizza. My three older brothers had all had three pieces and my younger brother was full, so I should have gotten the last piece. I had only had two, but my parents said that I wouldn’t be hungry after I ate the rest of my second piece. Then, they gave the piece to my oldest brother. The ball had not bounced my way, and I was really sad. If I had only ate my first two pieces of pizza faster, I could have had the last piece. This experience taught me a lot about life, and what I’m going to do as a parent.

When I didn’t get the last piece of pizza, I was devastated, but not getting the last piece opened up a new door. Not getting my fill of pizza let me have more room for dessert. When life doesn’t go my way, I don’t get mad and think that it is the end of the world. That bad thing that happened to me might have been for a reason, so my life goes in a different direction. Some people don’t know how to get on with their lives when bad things happen to them. When something bad happens to me, I just think about how much worse the situation could have been. People need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and just get on with their lives.