zachary - schenectady, New York

Once in a lifetime

Zach Kronick

One more out is all I need to complete my perfect game, two strikes on the number nine hitter the pitch, a curveball on the outside corner, froze the batter, strike three, I have pitched a perfect game. I believe that miracles do happen but you need some luck and a lot of skill. My perfect game was a once in a lifetime performance so in some aspects it was a miracle, in others it was a team accomplishment but in most peoples eyes it was my own accomplishment. I believe that it was my own accomplishment but also a team accomplishment with a little luck. In the major leagues there have only been 17 perfect games ever thrown, only one in the World Series. Ever since June 3rd, 2007 (day of my perfect game) most people have been congratulating on my accomplishment, I don’t think much of it, I just think it was just a day that I had a good game.

In 2004 there Red Sox were down three games to nothing to the New York Yankees in the ALCS. It would be a miracle if they came back to win the ALCS let alone the World Series. They were down to their final three outs in the bottom of the ninth. They were facing one of the best closers ever, Mariano Rivera. The first batter Kevin Millar walked and then a pinch runner Dave Roberts stole second off of Rivera. Then the next hitter Bill Mueller singled up the middle to drive in Roberts to tie the game at four apiece. Then the rest is history, the Red Sox won the next three games in the ALCS to go to the World Series, the first time ever a team came back from three games to none to win a playoff series. In the World Series the Red Sox swept the Cardinals to reverse the 86-year old curse of the Great Bambino. This is truly one of the greatest miracles ever.

The greatest sports miracle ever happened in 1980. The USA hockey team had to hold open tryouts in 1980 to get enough people to make a hockey team for the Olympics. They were going against all odds in the tournament but they won their games pretty easily with great teamwork until the semifinals. In the semifinals the USA was facing the powerhouse Soviet Union. The USA went on to win the game four to three, with goals from one from Buzz Schneider, two from Mark Johnson and the go-ahead goal from Mike Eruzione. One announcer, Al Michaels, said “eleven seconds, you’ve got ten seconds, the countdown going on right now! Morrow up to Silk (players on the team) five seconds left in the game…Do you believe in miracles? YES!!! .“ This game is forever known as the “miracle on ice”. The USA went on to win the championship game against Finland 4-2 to complete the greatest miracle in sports history.

Then there are also other miracles like someone surviving a terrible disease or someone finding a long lost relative. One girl named Bethany Hamilton had one of her arms bit of by a shark off of Hawaii. Not only did she survive to tell the story but she is even still surfing. I believe miracles are hard to come by but they are possible, but only with a lot of skill and a little luck.