A. - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: golden rule

Everyone has heard of the Golden Rule: “Do unto others what as you would have them do to you.” Even with changing times, that is just as true today as it was when Jesus spoke the famous phrase 2,000 years ago. Many times, one’s success in life can depend on upon his or her understanding and use of this simple advice. Evidence of this can be seen all around us in the world we live in today. Although many may seem more complex, almost all of the negative things going on in the world are, in the end, the result of a violation of this rule.

Throughout my life, I have learned that someone should expect to be treated the same way in which he or she treats other people in his or her life. I strongly believe that I will reap what I sow in how I treat others. It is simple logic. I know from my personal experiences that when I treat people badly, those same people usually treat me the same way. When I treat people with respect and accept people for who they are, I usually am treated with respect and generally accepted.

Of course, I lose focus of this at times, as does everyone. I will do something for no apparent reason and watch the entire situation blow up in my face. I try to do the right thing, but I find myself doing exactly what I do not want to do. The important thing to remember is that I cannot change the past but rather learn from it and apply it to my present situation.

As I have learned, the best way to live and get along with other people is to always live by the Golden Rule. Even though this does not always happen we should use this saying to guide our lives. If everyone were to live by this advice, the world would be a much better place.

A.Gruenhagen