How Don’t You Do?

Farshid - El Paso/Tx/79912

I believe that expression is limited solely by the expresser. But first off, what is expression? Expression is anything you want it to be. It could be saying everything on your mind to make a point. It could be saying absolutely nothing to make a point. It could be physical, or it could be mental. Expression is what we want to convey about anything we may have an interest in, and how we set forth to convey it.

By saying that expression is limited solely by the expresser, I’m saying that a wood-chuck will only chuck as much wood as that wood-chuck wants. Got me? An expresser is limited only by the border they install on themselves. If that’s the case, then I also believe that expression can be made limitless only by the expresser.

Expression is something I treasure because without it, I feel that there would be no emotion or meaning to the things in our life. Things would stay exactly what they are. Colors wouldn’t exist as the entities we give them. Music would be a mess of sound. Literature becomes ink blots. Even the meaning we put into the material products we give or receive would not exist. Expression is what gives meaning to the things around us and the things we do because we establish those meanings by expressing.

The idea that expression can be made limitless was indirectly established in me by my mother. In high school I had a lot a lot of trouble staying out of trouble. I never went to my classes, went home, played music all day, and had my share of substance abuse. I failed more than half my classes and by that time was about to drop out of high school. With my entire high school career just about ruined, my mother recited something to me I’ll never forget, “If there is a will, there is a way.” These words alone struck me with a vengeance. They made it clear to me that in order to express what I want, I need to have the will and determination to do it.

My senior year, I made it a point to be able to prove to myself, and the people around me, that I would graduate on time, despite my two year set back. After enduring the long thirteen classroom hours a day, and endless hours of work and homework, I successfully graduated on time. I shocked teachers, friends, classmates, family, and especially myself. That alone, was something worth doing to be able to express my aptitude and my sheer want to be something better.

Expression is and can never be limited. If even the goal is extremely out of reach, it can be made in reach. But then again, it’s all up to the person who sets the goal that can make it possible. This I believe.