Bad Things Happen to Good People

J - Napoleon, Ohio

It always seems like bad things are happening to good people. No matter how great life is going, it seems that there is a point in time when everything seems to go bad. When you are down in the dumps, it appears that people who act badly get away with whatever they do. Good people always seem to get the worse part of life, even though they really do not deserve it.

A past experience in my life that involves this statement is when my sister was involved in a car crash. It was during the spring of 2003, and she was a junior in high school. Before the accident, she was an ideal person. In school, she was an excellent student and all of the teachers enjoyed having her in class. She met many friends at school and they always seemed to be so close. After school, she worked at the Napoleon Public Library where she enjoyed her work, especially helping children with their reading. Every Sunday, she would go to church with my mom and grandma, religion was a big part of her life and she tried to live her life as an example of that. At home she was a great sister, and we did not have many sibling fights. My parents trusted that when she was finally able to drive they entrusted her with driving by herself. However, the statement bad things happen to good people came into her life.

On April 1, 2003, my sister was driving back from Defiance, when a semi truck ran into the back of her car. She was rushed to the Medical College of Ohio where they had to put her on life support for three days. During those days, I wondered why such a terrible accident had to happen to such a good person. After the three days, my parents decided to take her off the life support.

When my sister was involved in her accident, it made me wonder why bad things do happen to good people. To me, it did not seem very fair that something like this happened to my sister, someone that I considered to be a great person. This event made me realize that my time on this Earth is limited and it can end at any moment. It also made me question why God had to take my sister at that moment in time. I am not saying that all bad things happen to good people, but it sure seems to happen all to frequently.