Jonathan - Ellicott City, Maryland

Probably the event and person who shaped my beliefs was my sister, and when I was about 4 or 5 years old. She was taking piano lessons at the time, but I would always sit down there and listen to her play it. I think it was then that I realized that I did love music, and wanted to play music no matter what. Then, my teacher saw me listening to the music and noticed I would make funny faces whenever my sister did something wrong (apparently I would also hit my sister’s foot when she did something wrong as well), which told her that I was ready for piano lessons for some reason. And since then, I’ve always been able to use music to get me through the day. It’s a way to express my feelings, help me cheer up when I’m down, make people around me enjoy what they’re listening to, and so much more. I even did more types of music such a singing, playing the violin, clarinet, guitar, and many more. I believe that music is a universal tool to do anything; sing, dance, act, expressions, pretty much anything.