Chelsea - Berea, Kentucky
Themes: family, illness

This I Believe…

I believe in the power of miracles. Miracles, to me, are blessings placed upon us. They happen to us big and small and we may not notice all of them but sure enough they do happen. Some people may believe in them and others may not but I am a firm believer. Take my Aunt Susan for instance. She is a 35 year old Christian woman, a mother of two and a wife. She had everything she ever wanted in life and was very thankful for it. One of the kindest and loving people you would ever meet.

Last September, we got a phone call with devastating news. Susan had went to the doctor because of pain in her neck and found out she had been diagnosed with Non-Hotchkins Lymphoma in stage four. This turned not only ours, but her world upside down and all we could do was ask, “How?” and “Why?” Cancer is a terrible disease that is hard to fight and with Susan’s already being in stage four, it had spread dramatically. The only treatment was chemo-therapy but the doctors weren’t even sure if that was going to work.

She began her chemo-therapy treatments about a week later and it was the worst experience she would ever go through. No one will ever understand how courageous and brave someone must be in facing cancer until it is them themselves. Just watching her go through this was horrifying. I just wanted to help her and make her better again but there was nothing I could do but wait and have faith.

The cancer had completely dissolved one of her vertebrates in her spinal chord in her neck. A metal plate was positioned in place of that bone so she would be able to hold her head up but she would never be able to turn her neck freely again. She then had to have a metal rod placed inside her leg to support one of those bones, on top of the chemo-treatments.

During this time she was losing all her hair, lost over 50 pounds in weight and almost lost her faith. She was in so much pain that she was about to just give up but in the back of her mind she knew she couldn’t. She had a 5 year old and a 13 year old depending on her and a husband to love. She had a wonderful life and she wasn’t going to lose it without a fight. Throughout the last year, she had her good days, where she might be able to eat or drink a little but then there were days when her blood pressure would plummet and she would get terribly sick. During these few times we thought we might lose her.

It is absolutely heart wrenching to watch another human being experience such pain, let alone someone you love. I had never known anyone with cancer before and I didn’t understand the struggle and pain they go through in order to fight it. But seeing my Aunt Susan’s experience opened my eyes completely. It made me feel helpless and angry. “Why did this have to happen to her?” I’d ask crying but the only answer I could come up with was that everything happens for a reason.

Fighting for almost a year now, my Aunt is now in remission. A miracle! She fought so hard and had so many people praying for her that she made it through. She has to go back monthly for scans to make sure that if it does come back they can take action immediately but for now my Aunt Susan has a positive outlook on life and lives everyday like it may be her last.

This was a real miracle! A survivor of stage four non-Hotchkins Lymphoma is absolutely incredible! Doctors did not have much faith in her recovery but she did and it was a remarkable one at that and we are entirely thankful for it. This has taught me that no matter what obstacle is in your path, believing in miracles and keeping faith is sometimes all you need.