Analissa - Acton, Massachusetts
Themes: peace

I believe there’s power in a walk under the stars.

As a first year college student, I spend the majority of my days sleep-deprived, diligently working hard to finish the massive amount of work I have to do. I can often be seen running to the campus coffee shop for my caffeine fix in the form of a large caramel latte. I study hard, don’t get too much time to play, and end my days at three in the morning.

You are probably wondering, how do I make it through these days without losing the little bit of sanity I have left?

At the end of the day, when it seems like I’m the only one left awake, I take a solitary walk under the stars. It is then that I find a stillness within my soul that I cannot find any-time else. What I love is this feeling isn’t artificially substance-produced. It is pure and real and doesn’t have any nasty side effects. We all seem to have some condition that leaves us with an emptiness that we try to fill with all sorts of things; whether it is relationships, new possessions or abusive substances. But at the end of the day, we are still alone. We need to find a calm within own our soul, a calm we can only find when we remove ourselves from distractions, from those things that we try to replace our loneliness. We are left with just ourselves, with our own thoughts and feelings.

Going to college hundreds of miles away from home has forced me to take a step back and look at how I was living my life during high school. Instead of spending time meditating on the meaning of why I am here on earth, I was more likely to be found drinking beers. I was living the life of an average high school graduate, celebrating my new-found freedom with the help of alcohol and a few good friends. But who wants to be average? My generation rebels against our parents by repeating the same mistakes they did. The majority of us drink, smoke, and care only about our immediate surroundings. But when I walk, I think about everything, and mostly how lucky I am to be alive. How I have been given the gift, yes the gift, of life, and how I better start using it.

Tonight I will get up after spending a large amount of time studying, walk out of my dorm room and step into a chilly, starry night. I will gaze in wonder at the beautiful night sky, inhale the fresh air, and reflect about life. I will be alone, bundled in a scarf and have a chilly nose, but I will have peace, and appreciate every second of it.