Michele - Augusta, New Jersey
Themes: love, respect

Michele Morongell

This I Believe Essay

December 11, 2007

Word Count= 474

I believe that I have a profound love for elderly people. I see elderly people as kind, amazing, full of knowledge and wisdom, and loving people. Other people may view them as cranky, smelly, boring, not fun, and just people they would not have any interest in interacting with. Sure when people get old and are not able to take care of themselves they have to live in a nursing home, but that doesn’t mean that its time to forget about them. I’m sure they don’t enjoy the fact that they are treated like an infant all over again; and I’m positive they hate it when their families forget about them and don’t visit them.

When I was 12, on Christmas Day my family had a houseful of people and when it was time for everyone to leave, that’s when I noticed that my grandma was getting old. She wasn’t able to bend down and tie her shoes anymore like you and I could do right now, everyone else just tried to ignore the fact that she was struggling and continued saying their goodbyes and scurried around her. So I bent down on our Santa welcome carpet and tied her shoes for her. She showed more gratefulness than anyone has ever shown before. That’s the mark of where I knew I had a love for elderly people. When I was 15, my grandma got put into an assisted living home and my family and I would take her out every Sunday for dinner, my heart broke every time I saw the look of sadness on all the other people living there because they knew they weren’t going anywhere for a while. When my grandma’s Alheizhmer’s kicked in I would go visit her as much as possible with my mom; she realized that my mom and I came around a lot to talk and spend time with her and the only two names she could remember was mine and my mom’s. When my grandma died this last September, it was very sad because I was so close to her.

Older people are so full of wisdom and knowledge, and if you can just put aside the fact that they don’t smell like Dolce & Gabanna perfume anymore, you can gain so much from them. Since elderly people typically don’t have a job or have much to do they love it when people give them the time to talk and they love to feel loved.

Elderly people are the same as everyone else in this world. They are all unique in their own way, still have individual characteristics and a bubbly personality, and they still want to be treated like everyone else. Elderly people are amazing and my unique love for them will never end.