Mandy - Russellville, Kentucky
Themes: children

My Credo

I believe your life can change paths because of one moment. I believe things happen in life for a reason. I believe having a child can change you forever. For some it’s a good change, they grow up; they realize that child comes first. Other people feel trapped and want to be free. Either way it changes you.

Some of my earliest childhood memories are of my parents drunken fights. I believe having children change my parents in a negative way. My mom was way too young and inexperienced to have had children at that time in her life. My dad was and still is an alcoholic. Having children only added stress on him which made him drink more, which made him mean. I was always scared of him as a child.

By the time I was in seventh grade I was drinking hard liquor. I didn’t see it as a big deal. It was what I had seen adults in my life do since I was a very young child. I didn’t think about the negative affects it could have had on my life. I was lucky I never got in trouble, or I didn’t kill my self. At that time it was all in good fun with friends. Looking back now I can’t believe some of the things I did and some of the situations I put my self in.

At the end of my sophomore year in high school I was dating a guy that drank way too much and did way too many drugs. I was with an alcoholic and didn’t even realize it. By the time I did it was just easier to stay. I hated being at home. No matter how bad our relationship got or how many times he got in trouble and went to jail I stayed. My life was going in two completely different directions. On the one hand I was going to school and on the other I was letting some one hold me back.

At the end of my first semester I found out I was pregnant. Though out the pregnancy I continued to put up with the drinking and the drama that came along with the relationship. Shortly after the birth of my son I realized I had to get rid of the source of the drama. I couldn’t let my beautiful helpless son have the childhood I had. I was going to do my best to make sure he didn’t.

Since my son was born my whole life has changed. I’m now engaged to a great guy that’s doesn’t drink or do drugs. He’s the only dad my son knows. My life is slowly getting back on track. I’m taking a couple of classes. I haven’t drank since I was in high school. I also have a happy healthy two year old. So my credo is a child can change your life and some times save it.