Jordan - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: change

Open Mindedness Makes the World Better

“Where there is an open mind, there will always be a frontier.” (Charles F. Kettering) I believe that open mindedness makes the world better, because allowing yourself to listen and understand others is the first step towards broadening your views of others. With an open mind, you can discover new things you’ve never noticed before. Nations could understand each others’ cultures, and reasons for war. Disputes between world powers, or two people could be ended if some people would take into consideration other peoples views.

I try to keep an open mind, because that is what I believe. I feel that by doing this, I am more accepting of others. Just because someone doesn’t think the same way as me doesn’t mean they aren’t right. Nor does it mean that we couldn’t get along. I think it makes me smarter, being able to see things in multiple ways. You get a better picture of things if you see them in multiple points of view.

I think that everyone should have a fair say in what they believe. Everyone should be able to speak their views so that they can get their message across. By being open minded to people, you give them that fair chance to say what they want. Though there is a limit to what you should listen to, because even though it may be best to keep an open mind and listen to others, that doesn’t mean you need to act on their beliefs. Listen to others, but follow your own beat.

Also, you may even find something you like from other people’s opinions. Taking and sharing ideas is how we become informed, and blocking people off from your mind may keep you from discovering something you may like. For example, when I was younger, I didn’t really have a favorite type of music. I didn’t even listen to music that much, other than random songs on the radio. My hair was short, my friends had moved, and my mind seemed limited. Though, a new friend introduced me to rock music, and I loved it. When I was younger, I just followed what others did and never had much of an opinion. My friend seemed to have opened a door in my head, and introduced me to a new world. Now my hair is long, my friends are crazy, and I not only give my own opinions, but listen to others’ the best I can.