Emily - Maryland Heights, Missouri

Family- an Important Factor in Life

When I was three years old, my brother took me to a skating rink. He held my arms and guided me around the rink. Once I had fallen, he’d help me up and then we’d start skating again. I knew that he cared for me and didn’t want me to get hurt. For this reason, I knew he loved me as much as I did in return. As a younger sister, I love my brother more than I love anything in the world. In my heart, he is even ranked higher than my parents. Not only does he help me with my problems, but also influences me like a good friend. To me, family is one of the most important factors in life. It is definitely something that I value and respect greatly.

There was a time when I wasn’t able to finish an assignment. It cost me a grade, and also caused me to think negatively. My brother told me that there is a solution to every problem in the world. He encouraged me to keep trying and to never give up. After he helped me to be more confident in myself, I became certain that I can achieve anything. At first, I didn’t think that it was his words that influenced me so much. But when I saw the results of our conversations, I really did believe that I loved my brother.

My brother is an influence to me because he is my role model. I want to be successful like him. As tells me stories of him during his high school years; I ask myself, ‘how could someone be so perfect?’ He was my parents’ prodigy. When I tell him how I overcome my problems, my brother would say to me, “I’m proud of you”. As I stroll around in stores with my mom, we say hi to the people we know. Most of the people we meet on the way tell me how I look like my brother. When they say that, my heart tells me that that is because my brother is my influence and when others see me, they also see my brother in me.

Last Thanksgiving, I asked him what he was thankful for, “Are you thankful for your family, and the food on your table?” My brother said yes, and also “I’m thankful for you being here, being my sister.” After hearing this, I was so moved that I cried. Tears emerged down my cheeks and thankfulness rose in my heart. No other person had ever said that to me. At that moment, I really did believe that family was important to me. Without my brother, I couldn’t have gotten this far in life. He encourages me and wants me to get involved in things. I know he wants me to be successful, and I will be successful because he is always here for me.