Wes - Bowling Green, Kentucky

There are a lot of things in the this world that anger me. But nothing grinds my gears more than elderly drivers, not paying attention to their surroundings. I am constantly being pulled out in front of by a 90 year-old women driving Buicks. This is why I believe that after 65 the driver’s test should be mandatory for senior citizens.

Statistically speaking elderly drivers create 14 percent of car crashes each year. This is due to their lack of vision and hearing. If these people are causing this many crashes a year, doesn’t it make sense that they would need to retake the driving test? I do believe that there might be some “good” elderly drivers out there, but I have yet to encountered one of those yet.

Even some seniors themselves are agreeing with my beliefs. An 86 year old man once plowed through a farmer’s market and killed 10 people. He then after stated that he had no business driving. The

man then admitted to having hearing and vision problems and claimed that he “thought he was stepping on the brake, not the accelerator.” Statistics show that after 85 years of age vehicle related fatalities are dangerously close to those of 16-19 year olds.

Tragedies such as the one stated above have caused discrimination towards the elderly. I am not one for “singling out” a certain group of people, but this needs to be regulated. There are some many rules and guidelines for drivers under 21. Why can there not be an regulations for the senior citizen groups?

This essay was not intended to badger the elderly. I am just beginning to think that elderly driving is becoming a problem. I do not believe that they should all have their licenses taking away, just for reaching a certain age. I do however strongly believe that they should have to retake the driver’s exam and not be able to renew their license until they do.