Lauren - Bay City, Michigan

I am a leader to myself. Right now I am leading myself on a journey to discover what kind of leader I want to be and what kind of leader I am meant to be. It is hard to figure that out when you don’t know where your life is going to take you, but I guess there are some things I know I want to be when I get there.

Growing up with two working parents has helped me to discover things I know I want to be as a leader and also things I don’t want to be. Both my mother and my father have been leaders in the home as well as in the workplace. I have been able to see first hand how this can be a challenge at times. It all seems worthwhile though, when someone they have been leading does something great. I want to be able to have more rewarding times than difficult times and I think some of my insights below will help me get there.

I want to be able to adapt to those around me. I want to be able to understand and know who I am working with no matter if they are different or the same as me. I want to be able to have the clear vision on what needs to be done and how it needs to get done. I want to be able to show, through my actions, that I care about those I am leading. I want to show them they matter and that without them, I wouldn’t be a leader. I want to surround myself with people that complement my abilities and weaknesses so that where I am lacking, they can shine. I want to be honest and have honest followers. I want to be thought of as a great leader.

I also know what I don’t want to do. I don’t want to be power hungry. I don’t want to hide behind my title. I don’t want to be put on a pedestal. I don’t want to be stuck in a position I don’t like or in a position I don’t have the skills for. I don’t want to pretend I have all the answers when I don’t. I don’t want to have to compromise my ethics or the ethics of those around me. I have seen leaders who work like this. It isn’t a beneficial situation to be in when you are a follower.

I guess still I don’t know where I will end up in my life but I think I know what will make me a good leader along the way; I just need to be who I want to become.