ashley - Rockfeild, Kentucky
Themes: addiction

Would you yourself consider alcoholism to be a disease? Some people say it is and some say it’s not. I myself believe the ones who say it is, are trying to cover something up, or make excuses for them. It is consider a disease but I lot at it as a disease of the mind. So it really depends on how you as a person would look at it. To me I believe it’s not a disease because it was your choices that got you there.

True alcoholism causes heart and liver disease, as well as many others, but that doesn’t mean it is one. My opinion, diseases most of the time just appear, but it depends on which one. If you call alcoholism a disease it allows them to drink more, without caring. It becomes there excuse for being able to do stupid and irresponsible things. I am 19 years old and I’ve lived with alcoholism in my life. My mom has drank since I can’t remember, before I was born. And she’s finally to the point where she calling it a disease because she can’t stop. It has become a must for her, everyday.

Through the experience with her drinking has made me get the opinion I have about alcoholism being a disease. My mom uses it as a cover-up, and an excuse for her mistakes. When I was less than a year old my dad left my mom, for drinking and actions that shouldn’t had been made. She blames my brother and me for causing her to drink because she was always stuck at home with us while my dad worked. I’ve seen her mess up so many times that it just happens now that I’m to the point I just don’t care. She doesn’t call and every time we have plans something comes up. And the alcohol is always her way out.

My mom chose her path of life, she started and couldn’t quit. She did it to herself and i am not going to tell myself it’s a disease cause its not. She had the common sense not to start and let it take over her life but she didn’t care. She chose and said “I’m not living my life for my kids, but for me only.” My opinion on alcoholism is strongly based on my life experience through my mom. We see alcoholism everyday, but until we actually come face to face with the effects it has, we don’t truly have a strong opinion I think.

My opinion on alcoholism not being a disease is strongly stuck to me. It would take a lot to change the way I feel toward this topic. Mainly because they weren’t always mixed in with alcoholism, they allowed themselves to let it go that far.