Amanda - York PA 17404-6405, Pennsylvania
Themes: nature

In the Little Things

I believe in the little things of life. I believe that a continuous event of small happenings is far more powerful than one large event could ever be in life. The flowers that the wife finds on driver’s seat of her car as an apology from her husband, the kiss that my grandfather felt from my grandmother in his hospital bed, these are the things that make a difference in someone’s life. These are the things that have the power to move mountains.

Sometime early in November of this year, I had been experiencing a day that felt like it was dragging on since the week before. It just wouldn’t end- one bad thing after another. I was tired and seemingly out of it, I hadn’t had breakfast and because of an 11:30 a.m. class, I didn’t have the time to eat lunch. All of these things, in addition to the news that my grandfather had a heart attack the night before were pressing on my mind as I walked out of class, and down the stairs of Eastern University’s music building. The beautiful walk I normally enjoy, this particular day was bland. The sky was a gray-blue and I tended to stare on the way back to my room.

I was not looking at any person that day, but just kept my head down so that I could have a chance to think. I passed by car after car in the parking lot seeing each one’s tires, then my eyes would shift back to the empty parking lot. Just at the moment when my eyes were shifting from the parking lot, there was a rapid movement underneath one of the cars ahead that I could not quite figure out. It was something small, but it was caught in the shadow of the tires. Seconds later I saw that it was a small chipmunk. He exited his shadow, looked my way and hopped on his way straight across the parking lot. As I saw him at first, my attention was captured, and by the time he was gone, I was smiling and had some sort of joy restored in my heart, even if for just a moment. I felt, seeing this chipmunk, that someone must have been thinking of me and known that the simply the sight such an interesting creature would brighten my day. I, of course, do not know if that was the case, but it sure did seem that way at the time.

So whether it is a smile, a compliment, or a random act of kindness, do not be afraid to join in the effort of the little things in life. In history, in our lives, and in days to come, they are what will make the difference in a life.