Justin - tacoma, Washington
Themes: family, sports

Basketball brings “Us” Together

Basketball has the power to bring my family closer together. As basketball season begins, our family becomes a lot closer. My mom will take my schedule and make copies to send to the rest of my family. My mother will also ask for days off on the days I have games scheduled. Two years ago, when both my older brother and I were playing basketball, my family would all pile in my mom’s car just to watch each other play. My grandma always loves coming to our games. My entire family always knows when she is at the game because you can always hear her coaching on the sidelines. She always tells me to listen for her and it really feels good to know that my family is there at the game to watch me play. My little brother even attends the game. He has always looked up to me and basketball was a way for us to get even closer. After big games we go out to a nice restaurant to celebrate. My brothers, mother, grandma, and occasionally my aunts and uncle all sit together to enjoy a nice family meal as we go over highlights of the game. Last year my older brother surprised me at one of my games because he was away at college in Washington D.C. and wasn’t supposed to come back to Washington for another week. He ended up coming a week early and showed up at my basketball game. He even surprised my grandma who was so happy to see her grandson back and to see the other one playing basketball.

Basketball also draws the community together too. Basketball has the power to bring school teachers and students in the community together. At my former high school, Henry Foss, our whole school would wait for basketball season. We even had our homecoming game during the basketball season when, at most schools, it was held during football season. One reason our school was excited about basketball is because our football team wasn’t that good. But when the basketball season started everybody would bond together. Teachers become nicer to you and all of the students at the school know who you are. As the season progressed it would bring more people together to our game; I would see a new group of people at our games as we would get deeper into our season. In one event, as I went to get some food from Jack-in-the-box, the lady at the counter asked me how we lost last night because she recognized my face which was on the cover of the sports page in the news paper. By the end of our conversation she was telling us how she enjoyed watching us play and that she will be at the next game. Our games even drew students from other schools just to come watch us play and come together as a community.