Claudia - El Paso, Texas

For the past eighteen years, my life has been placed into four different categories, where each category has guided me and created the person that I am today.

Stage One: “Character Development Stage” As the daughter of two educators, I was taught to speak my mind and to fight for what I believe in. As I began elementary school, I began to feel like an outsider because I didn’t get along with some of my classmates because I would follow the example my parents taught me and unlike my classmates, they remained unheard and followed what they were told to do.

Second Stage: “Friendship Stage” By expressing myself freely, making friends wasn’t easy, unlike most kids I was like a “hot potato” jumping from friend to friend until I became part of “the group”. However I wasn’t really happy, I think it was because of the drama that we had in our group. We argued all the time and sometimes we would agree and sometimes we wouldn’t. We were like a bipolar group; you never knew when we were going to have a good day or bad one. As these arguments became a daily routine for me, I became rather tired of all the drama and began to change my attitude towards my friends. Therefore I was known to be the “bitch” of the group, not that this title hurt my feeling, instead I became rather fond of it and didn’t mind living up to the title.

Stage Three: “DRAMA Stage” High School was Hell for me. I had started off right; I was an honor student, a Varsity Softball player, and someone who knew what she wanted in life, but until my junior year things had changed, and the sport I loved became the Hell I feared. It was December, and I witnessed hate, envy, deception, and anger all in one day. My family and I had gone to a softball tournament and as we headed towards our car, a parent approached us with a bat to our face. He had accused us for talking bad about his daughter and the other of the girls. I was frightened and confused and instead of yelling or speaking up to the parent I stood quiet and began to cry like a wimp. As he finished yelling at us, I walked to the car and I could remember hearing the yelling that was going on. The next day, I decided to quit the team, but before I could my coach had put me and the rest of the girl in a room to “fix” our problems. We looked at each other for a quite long time and then I said “listen cause I’m only going to say this once, stop acting like the sun shines on your ass all the time, cause guess what it doesn’t” and then I left. It was at this point of my life where I had changed and started to believe in something that didn’t have to deal with God, but instead it dealt with me finding myself and speaking the truth to others.

Stage Four: “Rebirth Stage” From being a girl who expressed herself and having a title of being a “bitch”, I have concluded that I believe in being a grounded person, the type where you are in touch with reality and it leaves you being a down to earth type of person. I believe in speaking your mind like what my parents taught me, and I believe that people should let reality in so that their life can start.