Josolyn - 18914, Pennsylvania

This I Believe:

Christmas Is One of the Most Stressful and Awkward Times of the Year

Red and gold wrapping paper. Gold ribbon. Label: To Josolyn, from Aunt Bevy. I untie the glistening, gold ribbon. My heart starts to beat faster. Bub bum, bub bum. Could it be the x-box 360 I’ve wanted all year? No, the I-phone I asked for. Yes! That must be it. The wrapping paper is off, I open the box, anticipation. WHAT?!…underwear and socks?! This has to be the worst present I’ve ever received. Disappointment rings throughout the room. But I can’t let and auntie Bevy know that. I reply with an overly cheerful, “Thanks Aunt Bev, this is great, what I’ve wanted all year!” Its times like these when I believe Christmas time is one of the most awkward and stressful times of the year.

Firstly, Christmas shopping is dreadful to begin with. The gift giving process is even worse. You ask yourself questions like, “what should I get her?”, “will she like it?” “what if she doesn’t?” Questions like these just add to the stress of shopping in an overly crowded, stuffy mall, where everyone and there mother decided to come. You know the feeling, and what it looks like. Everything in the mall is covered with lights, giant santas are everywhere you turn. Snotty nosed kids are squealing for new toys, even thought Christmas is tomorrow. You can hardly walk, you kind of have to shuffle to get where you are trying to go. People look really angry, but wish you a merry Christmas anyway, because they feel they have to. That large woman in front of you just won’t walk fast enough, so all the furbys are gone before you can even get to them. Dreadful.

Secondly, you know what else is dreadful? Actually giving he gifts. As you grow up, you tend to not want the same things as you did when you were a child. You also tend to not need the same things. So what the heck do you get your forty year old brother? He has a job, and can pretty much buy what he wants on his own. Do you get him like a sweater? Or give him like socks?

Say you get him socks, he opens them and responds with a, “oh gee sis, thanks”, or even worse, “these are great, mom got me six pairs already, cool.” Responses like that are awkward and make you feel bad about not knowing what to get him. It’s very stressful to sit there, and watch someone open a gift, that you do not know if they will like. It’s even more stressful when there response is not what you had thought it was going to be.

Its times like these, that make me believe the Christmas holiday is one of the most awkward and stressful times of the year.