Garrett - Granger, Texas

Grace Overcomes Doubt

I believe in God. When I was young, I never imagined that these words would be hard to say, but in society today, they are. More and more intellectual individuals across the world are consciously turning away from God. After all, it is tremendously difficult to believe in God in a world where we (me included) desire physical proof and scientific evidence to support all that we hold true. Believing in God takes more than physical proof, though; it takes faith. I cannot see the air that I breathe, but I have faith and believe that it exists. I have never seen the face of God with my eyes, but I see his works all around me. I have faith and I believe in Him.

Many educated people in the world today are forming their own ideas and beliefs about God and all religions in general. Some may think that people long ago (in ancient times) simply ‘made up’ God to explain things that they could not explain back then, such as the creation of the earth. There will always be those who want to disprove God, but they do not change how I believe. I believe because of God’s ever-present influence on all life. When I feel that everything in my life is perfect just for a moment, I feel God’s presence. When I observe the beauty of nature, in animals, plants, mountains, and oceans, how could I not believe? When I think on the beauty of all human beings, who are capable of so much more than any other living thing on the earth, performing good deeds, interacting together in society, and building humongous structures, I will always believe. All life is truly amazing. Without God, how could I live?

Though life and all beauty in the world should be enough for me to believe in God at all times with no uncertainty, I still have my own doubts that God exists. Everyday, I question so many times, in so many ways that God is real, but at the end of every day, I believe. When I accomplish something amazing in my life, something that I know I could not have accomplished on my own, I feel complete and feel the presence of God. I remind myself how I felt in those moments when I am ever unsure about God’s existence and instantly realize that God definitely is real. I have seen no supernatural miracles, yet I believe. Faith is something that my religion (and any religion, for that matter) was founded on, and I will not loose that faith now.

I believe in God, no matter what. Many people in the world today may not believe, but there are many more that still do. With more technology and fewer moral values in society, it will only become harder to believe in God in the future. I cannot explain how and why God exists in a way that would turn a nonbeliever into an undoubting believer; I can only try to describe how He is very real to me, and God is very real to me.