Sean - Las Vegas, Nevada
Themes: gratitude

I remember sitting in the backseat of my senior English class, and despite the fact that it was midway through the semester I felt out of place because I was rarely there. My teacher was going over an assignment we’d need to write regarding the obstacles in life. I didn’t have the slightest hint that I was going to write one of the most important essays of my educational career. Obstacles pave the streets that direct the feet of life’s destiny, and this is what I believe.

What would I be without an obstacle placed before me? I’d lead a life without meaning, a human with no real purpose. Thank God it was raining outside during my drive home making traffic brutal because of weather related accidents. I had plenty of time to think about what I was going to write. I had plenty of time to decide why I thought obstacles in life mattered. At this time in my life I was more concerned with gambling and quick cash that I made off the less fortunate then any assignment I’ve ever received from the teachers in my lousy high school.

I thought to myself, if I really believe that obstacles lay the bricks for the steps of destiny to walk across then what kind of direction was I headed? I finally realized that the new Cadillac on the dealer lot wasn’t really an obstacle for me; I realized that adding another zero to the end of my banking account balance wasn’t the most challenging obstacle in my life right now. I was stressing over a measly five page paper in my English class. I could have anything I’ve ever wanted in the world with the little schemes that ran through my mind all day but I couldn’t shrug off the stress of my homework assignment.

It was on that car ride home that I realized the best investment I could ever make with my wealth was not in another car, another cash deposit, or any other little money making ideas I had in my head. It was an investment that would never lose value as long as my lungs pump air through my body. It is a single obstacle that many find so difficult to overcome that they don’t even make the attempt. My new investment would be in a college education.

I wish I could remember to thank the Lord everyday for providing the rain that slammed against my windshield and forced me to think about the obstacles in my life. I believe that obstacles define the character of a person. The weak minded individuals in our society choose the easy obstacles to overcome, and that was the bracket I fell under. Things changed that day, took a big turn for the better. The only obstacles I see now are the steepest hills I can imagine, may the muscles of my minds legs stress during my accent to the top. The giant obstacle of education before me is something that will tire me nightly and stress me daily, but it’s the best obstacle I will ever overcome. This I believe.