Amparo - El Paso, Texas
Themes: courage

One of the most important things in your life will be forming your character. It will bring you the opportunity to help others. Sometimes your family will need a member who find the solution to many problems. That is when you will need to be strong, or, a very common example, a group always need a leader with strong character who helps them to take the best way to realize an activity.

I believe in being strong when others will not for the following reason. I remember when I was thirteen. I was in middle school and I used to play basketball, my bests friends used to play in the team too. We were playing against a school that had a very good players, and we always played games full of very good moments because both teams played very well. All of us played since we were children in elementary school and we always played games with scores that were very close. I always remember this game because it really was special for me. The game was close in points, both teams were playing very well because we did all that the coach said. Until after the half time, when the second part of the game started, the game began to go in the favor of the other team. They started to play better, and we started to make mistakes. Jaz, my teammate and friend who broke her foot, could not keep playing. After ten minutes, Alejandra, another friend, made her sixth foul, and after that you cannot continue playing. For me and Sara, my other friend, seemed to be the end. We thought that we could not win the game.

My coach, asked for a time out, and Sara and me, saw that he had a very bad attitude. He was thinking only that we will not win the game. His attitude was terrible, it was not the attitude of a trainer who used to win almost all of his games, and maybe that was the reason, he was not born to lose, only win, win, and win. Sara saw him and took his attitude too, but I did not.

After spoke with the coach, when we went to follow with the game the only thing that I said to the other girls was: “I do not wanna lose!” They saw me and went to their places in the game. When the game started again, I began to run and jump as I never did. I went for each ball and each opportunity for making points and I did it so good. The team began to help me and we started to make a better game. Finally we won the game with a very high score, as it was supposed to be at the start of the game.

For some people maybe it is not a big thing, but for me, at the age of thirteen it was wonderful. I felt very good about myself. There is no doubt it was one of the most important moments in my life. Since that game, I always feel as if I have to be strong in moments that I live with other people. I try always to do my best for think in solutions and I try to bring calm to others for find the best answer. It is my history, it is my philosophy and it is the way I live, trying to be the strongest in bad moments, when no one else will.