Natalie - Sandwich, Massachusetts

I’ve had my share of bad days, but I’ve also had my share of laughs. I love laughter and I believe laughter may brighten even the worst of days.

I distinctly remember a bad day I had when in high school. This morning was a chilly November morning and lucky for me I slept in, unintentionally mind you, but sleeping in nonetheless. I went to a high school where any arrival after 7:30 was considered a class cut and would result in a detention.

I woke up at 6:57 to find a lot of my clothes missing and leaving my room I pondered where my clothes were. As I reached the kitchen I remembered that I began to do my laundry the previous night and being as studious as I am, I fell asleep writing a paper that was due the next day. So, I didn’t switch my laundry. I threw on a sundress and hit the road. Did I mention it was November?

I arrived at school and what luck, it was eighth grade tour day. Mobs of eighth graders crowded the lobby making it near impossible to get through and adding to my tardiness.

After treading through the sea of eighth graders I just had to run down one hallway and up the stairs and I would have made it. Running in flip flops is not the best idea I ever had, I tripped on my own feet, slid down the hall a bit and stopped right in front of an open door. After having everyone in the class just sort of stare at me, I gave them all a thumbs up, got up and ran. 7:29. I could imagine my dean sentencing me to a detention and I was almost in tears. When I finally arrived at the tardy office my watch read 7:31. When I made it to the desk, I just began to laugh, hysterically, at that, and I watched as the secretary stared at me. I began to rattle off my bad morning and ended with my tardiness, she just smiled and laughed. The only thing she said was, “You might want to reset your watch,” as she filled out my tardy slip and sent me on my way. I just laughed. A release. All the frustration and anxiety I had built up in the short 20 minutes I had been awake, gone with the laughter I shared with that secretary. Turns out my watch was set 15 minutes fast and I arrived at 7:17 AM. only 7 minutes tardy.

So after a late start, cold weather and humiliation, I was able to still have a good day. Laughter. It’s all it takes. One laugh and you can no longer dwell in your misery. Laughter, my remedy for any bad day. I’ve had my share of bad days, but I’ve also had my share of laughs. I love laughter and I believe laughter may brighten even the worst of days.

So after a late start, cold weather and humiliation, I was able to still have a good day. Laughter. It’s all it takes. One laugh and you can no longer dwell in your misery. Laughter, my remedy for any bad day.