Casey - Hampton, Virginia

This I Believe…..Faith in Our Future

“Faith is the substance of things hope for and the evidence of things yet to be seen”. Faith is such a strong and descriptive word. Within this five letter word, both hope and desire coexist together in a way that an unattainable goal is attainable without any tangible proof of direction. The statement above encompasses my cautious, yet optimistic outlook on our future. I have faith that our society is going to get its act together. I have faith that parents will be parents and I have faith that our society will yet again value the attainment of education and knowledge as a necessary ingredient for our success and survival.

In the 21st century, our access to information, medicines, modern technologies, and each other has led our society to facilitate violence, hatred, terrorism, and ignorance. How can the modern conveniences of today’s world cause such a pare dime shift and/or replacement of morals and values? Is it because children are exposed to early, or is the family structure under attack from within? No one really has the answers to these questions; however we as a society can control these problems through re-education and the enforcement of values that our fore-fathers instilled within our parents and there parents before them. According to the Good Book, “Faith without works is dead”, this simple yet powerful verse is the application of faith. We as a society need to realize that it is not enough to say I will do better tomorrow, because the future starts today, and there is no time like the present to start.

Fires in California, Space Shuttle Columbia Blows up, Nuclear War in the Middle East, Thousands die due to genocide in Sudan, Oil prices Skyrocket, these are all headlines of news articles that have been written with the past decade, and as time continues only seem to get worst. Many people believe that the world is going to end very soon, and others have no clue nor could care less about what is going on around the world. I believe that the lack/desire of knowledge and faith within our society is the leading culprit that causes the consequences of our age. The world in which we live portrays the desire of man to attain selfish means of wealth, and to follow the teachings of “Its all about me”, and “I will do anything and everything to make it to the top”. What happened to “Help you neighbor”, “do unto others as you would want to be treated”, and our common humanity? These words are foreign to are current and next generation. Yet these essential truths written thousands of years ago are the philosophies in which builds character and values with a society, and provides the foundation for the continued advancement of our civilization.

Apart from my cautious look on our “Great Society” as mankind, I believe that we will correct the ill misconceptions of how we advance as human beings on this third planet from the sun. My faith in our ability to regenerate our once simple yet moral society, with the essence of “right and wrong” as our cornerstone of our civilization is still yet attainable. However, we must start today with ourselves, and tomorrow with our youth. Only when we take responsibility for ourselves, our actions, and our moral self-examination, are we going to tap into morals and values of common humanity and compassion in which is buried under all those selfish and secret maltreatments that damage the heart, the body, and ultimately the soul. One the greatest minds in the 18th century was Thomas Jefferson, and despite his bias philosophies of human rights, and his take on slavery, Mr. Jefferson quoted something that is still important to the survival and correction of our civilization:

“If the children . . . are untaught, their ignorance and vices will in future life cost us much dearer in their consequences, than it would have done, in their correction, by a good education.”