Laura - El Paso, Texas

I believe in lying. I believe there are situations and events in which lying is acceptable. I believe that you can always tell a lie if it will make someone feel better or if it will at least prevent someone from suffering.

I am pretty sure that all of us have lied to a friend about how good dinner was even if we didn’t like it a bit. We certainly do it out of respect but we never stop to think about the good we do. I was one of those people. I used to always tell those so called “white lies”. I knew I did it because it was what my parents had taught me. My dad has always told me to tell mom about how good her food was. Even if it was leftovers from the day before, I always had to say “thanks for the food mom, it was delicious.”

I never knew however, what my mom felt. I never thought she even cared if I thanked her or not. It was until I had to step into her shoes that I knew how powerful those words are. Once, long ago, I tried to prepare some fancy recipe I had seen on TV. I was alone at home and I decided to surprise my family with some food on the table, and so I started to cook. The TV host had made it seem so easy, but I was amazed at how much work and effort it took to prepare even the simplest dish. By the time I had finished, my food wasn’t any similar to what I had seen on the screen. In fact, it didn’t even taste good at all. It was too late to prepare anything else so I had to stick to what I had. My parents came home early from work that day and indeed they were surprised that I had cooked for them.

I was so sad and disappointed at not being able to prepare the delicious food I had expected. It was then when I realized the importance of what I had done all my life. When they finished eating, they thanked me for the food and said it was delicious. I knew it wasn’t true so I told them that it was ok if they didn’t like it, because I hadn’t liked it, either. Their only answer was that maybe it wasn’t the best food they had had in their lives but they were so proud at my initiative and effort that that was what made my food taste so good.

From that moment on, I have learned to say what for others, is more pleasant to hear, even if it is not always the truth, because I know how powerful those words are. In me, they still have that effect of trying to make a mouth-watering dish for my family.