Moises - El Paso, Texas

I believe in the hidden power that drives people to accomplish great and memorable things.

When my mom was sixteen years old she lived at her parent’s house where as she recalls she had a miserable and “slave-like” life. My mom’s opinion was never heard and she was physically and emotionally abused. One day my mom asked my grandmother if they could enroll her in school and my grandmother aside from making shutting her up, she hit her and told her that she was not made for school and that she was a useless piece of garbage and that she could only go whenever they would want her to. When she was sixteen years old she had her first period and when she told my grandmother who ignorantly thought that she was pregnant, so she hit her with the first thing she found wich in this case was a glass vase that broke at her head. Then she kicked her out of their home and after roaming a while lonely in the street she met my father the only person who gave the support and love that she needed. About six months later she married my dad to make it all tie it all up. But the significant thing is that I forgot to tell you my dad was thirty-six years old it was a twenty year age difference and my mom still had the inner strength to build a strong and unified family full of values and education the two things that she never had and that she always desired for herself and now we have the chance toaa learn them and use them in a future reference.

That is why I believe in the inner and hidden power of people that is released at times when every single force of nature is completely against you. My mom today has raised three kids, my brother an electrician, my sister who just graduated in May in criminal justice at UTEP, and me the youngest who graduated from Canutillo High School in May also. During almost twenty years she worked picking up chili, tomatoes, oranges, potatoes, and cotton, all these works made for “men” who told her that she shouldn’t be there; she was a woman after all. But she showed every single one of them that if a man could do it a woman like her that only went to middle school and never even completed it, could do it better and more efficiently than any other man that where working there.

I believe in the inner power, strength, ability, and intelligence that people have, but not just any people my “mom” who has taught us overall to overcome a problem with our chin up and to never show that we are afraid of anything that comes to us as an obstacle in our life and our happiness, and finally to always believe in our own strength after all it might be in our blood to fight.