Kirsten - El Paso, Texas

I don’t go to church every Sunday like I used to, and I don’t believe in every single thing that my religion says or does. But I do believe in God, and I strongly believe that God is responsible for everything, and everything happens for a reason.

As a kid, nothing ever seemed to be fair, and I never understood why certain things were the way they were. The only answer I ever got from my parents was “Life isn’t fair, and that’s just the way it is.” As I got older, I began to realize and understand that there was a plan for everything. Things have to happen in order for other things to happen. It’s kind of like the circle of life.

When I was in sixth grade my older brother was diagnosed with diabetes. This is when my belief first started to really take shape. I kept telling myself, “There has to be a reason that God did this. Something will come from this, I know it.” Since the day he was diagnosed, I’ve loved him deeper, and had so much more appreciation for him and the rest of my family. To know that at anytime something could happen to him is the scariest thing I know, but I think that is why I care more about him. If he hadn’t had been diagnosed I wouldn’t think twice about something possibly happening at any second to him, but even if he didn’t have diabetes it could. Car accidents happen all the time. Everything that happens, in some way teaches us something.

But my belief isn’t just because brother was diagnosed with diabetes, it goes farther. It goes for everything. Two weekends ago, for fifth time, someone I am friends with lost someone they love in a drunk-driving accident in the past three years. And the second time for this particular friend. Three years ago he lost his dad, and now it was his sister. I’ve learned from every accident, obviously not to drink and drive. But there has to be a reason that God has taken two people from the same family, the same way, within three years. There’s a lesson to be learned, perhaps for my friend, or the people around him, like me and my other friends, and his sister’s friends.

There is a reason for everything, even the worst things that seem the most unbearable and incredibly painful. Every time something happens, because of it, something else can happen and someone is learning from it. God has a plan, and everything happens for a reason. This I believe.