Karen - El Paso, Texas
Themes: gratitude

Seeing the good side about life

Seeing the good side about life will always make life easier, no matter how bad a situation might be, it is always possible to find its good point. I believe in Optimism; in finding the good side about life about every detail that I live every day. I have always thought that everything happened for a reason, but it was not until my experience as an exchange student that I realized that everything happens not only for a reason, but for a good reason.

I was an exchange student last year in New York. One day my mom asked me if I would like to join the exchange student program and I was so excited that I didn’t even think about it, I said “yes”. After a couple of months I got chosen in New York State. Being there has been one of the most awesome experiences in my life. I needed to think positively. I wouldn’t have finished my program’s length if I hadn’t been optimistic. It was necessary to understand that the things that worth the most in life are not easy to achieve, they never come easily, but being optimistic I know that those things are not impossible, they only require effort and patience.

Every day I tried to live seeing the beautiful side about life, getting the best of every detail as the landscapes, the amazing amounts of snow, the colorful birds, the awesome American culture, the kindness of people, and the way they encouraged me to experience new things of their traditions. This made me feel part of their life. There were times when I missed my family and friends from my hometown but I knew that my year in New York was not going to last forever and that I needed to enjoy it the best I could. I had some friends that joined an exchange student program too, but they didn’t get a nice experience because their attitude was pessimist. I have always said that every thought has positive or negative energy; if the energy is positive there will be the attraction of more positive actions in life, and vice versa. To be optimistic I opt to always have faith in that whatever I do will work out well.

Everything that has happened in my life has always made sense, maybe not in the moment when some situation of my life happened, but after some days, months, or years I have always found the reason to it and noticed that whatever has happened good or bad it has always worked out for a better purpose. Sometimes there are things that are necessary to be learned before moving on; this is the reason why everything happens for a good reason. Being optimistic is the only way I find to enjoy life’s moments and lessons.