Ryan - Moraga, California

Be Here Now

Occasionally, I come across a wild moment of realization where I think to myself, “ I‘m here in this world, living and breathing. This is amazing.” Then there’s a rush of excitement and pure thrill that runs through my body, but not the kind that makes me want to go run some laps around the track. It’s the kind that makes me feel so completely satisfied with my life at that very second. Of course, then I realize that I’ve only just started. So what am I really getting at? I’m talking about being here now, but at the same time dreaming of the future.

This isn’t motivational nor is it inspirational. It is the passion for the days of the week, the hours of the day, the minutes of the hour, the seconds of the minute that we live in. Don’t waste time in another time, but stay where you are. Why should I hang around the memories of the past, or try to live some bogus ideal life that I’ve thought up for myself, just because the present isn’t looking so great. That’s where some people in this age make their mistakes. Instead, why not shed the artificial and go for the real, accept it, because it always gets better.

After the first few weeks of my junior year, I was already saying to myself that it was going to be the worst year ever. What I saw in my future was loads of homework, almost no free time, and a tough English class to top it all off. I thought to myself, “This is getting pretty hopeless.” But immediately after, I questioned myself, “So why are you doing this again?” That was definitely a turning point for me, a moment of total confused wonder, but that’s when I remembered the life I had dreamt of: wearing a business suit, going to work everyday at some Fortune 500 company, living the good life and enjoying myself. I was convinced, of course, so I thought, all right, let’s work for the future, but also stay focused on now, because now is where I want to be.

I decided to live as I have always lived, giving all of my attention to the very time that I was immersed in and squeezing out every last drop. I believe that I can get the most out of today, when I can go surfing, catch the latest flick at the movies, and do my homework. I choose to live in the now, the ever-present present. Sure, it’ll chew you up and spit you out sometimes, but it is the difficulties that allow you to progress yourself. It’s how humans have evolved for a long time.

Right now, as I am educating myself, expanding my mind for the future, I stop for a bit, to stare in wonder at the world, seeing it for all that it is. Now has no limits and later is infinite in my mind. I believe in today, and tomorrow.