Dan - Raleigh, North Carolina
Themes: sports

Another Game

As I sat, eagerly waiting on the bench, I glanced up at the scoreboard. It was all tied up at zero in the dying seconds of the third period. It was my turn to step on the ice next. Our team gained the redline and dumped the puck in, while all three forwards raced to the bench for a change on the fly. We only had 55 seconds left and the puck was now in our zone.

As one of my forwards smashed their player into the boards, our defenseman picked up the puck. I was wide open. There was absolutely nobody on me! I screamed my head off, “Pass the puck!” It came! I raced up the ice towards there net, there was not a soul around me, it was just me and the goalie. I deked once, I deked twice, and I shot. “Ding!” It hit the crossbar and missed the net! We lost.

Doesn’t that just grind your gears? It’s kind of like when a door is left wide open for you, and when you make to step through it someone slams it in your face.

Everyone’s spirits were crushed. The sigh echoing from the crowd seemed to go on forever. Nobody spoke when we entered the locker room and no word had been said by the time I left.

In the car I was talking to my Dad. “What happened is not so rare. People miss chances all the time.” I didn’t respond but stared out the window thinking that he didn’t know what it felt like to blow it. “The difference between the great players and the good players is that the great players are able to shrug it off and keep going at it next time. Who knows? Maybe you will get it then, maybe you won’t. You just can’t stop giving a hundred percent.”

Now when I look back and remember this conversation I realize that he wasn’t talking about hockey. He was talking about life. He didn’t mean great players are able to shrug it off and keep going, but great people are able to shrug it off and keep going.

After that I realized something even more important: There is always another game. You never stop playing until your dead!

As I sat, eagerly waiting on the bench I glanced up at the scoreboard. It was all tied up at zero in the dying seconds of the third period. It was my turn to step on the ice next. Our team gained the redline and dumped the puck in, while all three forwards raced to the bench for a change on the fly. We only had 55 seconds left and the puck was now in our zone.

As one of my forwards smashed their player into the boards a defenseman picked up the puck. I was wide open. There was absolutely nobody on me! I screamed my head off, “pass the puck!” It came! I raced up the ice towards there net, there was not a soul around me, it was just me and the goalie. I deked once, I deked twice, and I shot. “Ding!” It hit the crossbar and went in the net. We won!