Julie - Wilmington, Massachusetts

I believe in taking naps and setting aside time to relax. Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy or everything is just coming at me too fast. Maybe I have too much homework to do or too many places to be and all I want to do is sleep. I think that sometimes we all get a little caught up in everything that is going on around us like work, school, and sports and forget that we should take some time to ourselves and “chillax.”

Lately, I have been feeling like I am in over my head. I have school, homework, sports, and work. Now I know you have felt this way before too and does it ever make you just want to sit down and, as my mom used to say when I was little, “rest your eyes for a minute”? I think that sometimes people just need to stop what they are doing and take a minute to do something they want to do or something that they find fun. Maybe they should take a power nap, sit on the couch and watch TV, or maybe even read a book.

I think that time is a very precious thing and sometimes it seems like there isn’t enough time to do all of the things you want to do. Once, I had this day, where all I wanted to do was take a nap, or at least sit down. The day started when I went to work at 8:30 in the morning, I work at a karate school so I am moving all day. Then I went straight from work to decorate a hall for a karate Christmas party where I had to help people carry in food or gifts “from Santa.” Directly after the party and cleaning up I had to go to the high school to work the sound system for the high school’s musical production. By this time I was ready to pass out, but after the musical everyone went to IHOP. So really, none of us got home until about 2 in the morning. It is days like those that make me believe that everyone needs to take a nap.

When I was in middle school, which was not long ago at all, I used to make fun of my friends who were in high school who said “I’m going to go take a nap.” I would joke around calling them “old” but now, in my second year of high school, I envy them. I wish that I could come home from school and take a nap. Power naps are so refreshing and give you a great boost of energy. That is why I believe everyone should take naps. Even when you are having a bad day, or you are in a bad mood, a nap could change your whole day.

When you are rushing around all day, whether you are at school, or at work, and then you have to go home and do homework or maybe cook dinner, you just need to find some time for yourself. You need to take a minute and “chillax.” I believe that every day, every person should take at least a 20 minute nap, or do something they have been dying to do. Relax, kick off your shoes, put your feet up, and take a nap!