I BELIEVE in compromise

Elise - Beaverton, Oregon

I believe in compromise. I believe that compromise is learned when passing the yellow crayon to the boy in kindergarten who keeps pulling your hair. I believe that compromising solves a fight before it occurs. A compromise takes place when two parents agree because their love is bigger than their argument. Compromising is believing in each other above one’s self. I believe compromise does not mean you are weak. I believe the open minded are the strong and the closed-minded are the weak. The compromising of one’s idea is not the compromising of one’s soul, but rather the ability to understand a different idea and intertwine the two to create a greater idea. Our world has become so self-driven and focused that we have forgotten to look to others for help and insight. This personal selfishness has sprung forth from the arrogance bred by our country. We become upset as nations call us the “world police,” but in fact we have created the name for ourselves. We teach our children to strive to be in the starting lineup on the t-ball team, to not share the answers to a math assignment with a fellow student, to secretly take SAT prep courses to be ranked number one in your class, and to pull an all-nighter to ensure that 4.0 GPA. But for what? To look at our child and say, “Wow, look how fast my five year old can run,” or, “Good job you are so smart,” or, “Your work paid off, and you have set yourself up to accomplish your dreams,” or, “You are one more step closer to your ultimate goal.” But, I disagree. We tell our children to work hard at something if they ever want to reach their goal, but in fact that “goal” is never really met. The goal is infinite. We are always striving toward the next best thing to enable ourselves to be on top. Why can’t we be satisfied with internal rather than the external success? Because we let our pride define who we are. We are Americans. We are the standard for the world. Or at least we think we are. I believe our country needs to compromise and admit we are sorry to the world, to show not only the external, but internal strength we have. I believe that when compromise occurs within one’s soul of one’s values is when the real compromise occurs. The compromising of one’s idea is not the compromising of one’s soul, but rather the ability to understand a different idea and intertwine the two to create a greater idea. As the United States of America, we must take confidence in each other united in compromise, over the arrogance of our individual self’s. We must believe in compromise to portray that together we are stronger than we are alone.