A Second Chance for my Aunt Katoo

Megan - Lawrenceville, New Jersey

I believe in second chances. I believe that everyone should receive a fair second chance no matter who you are or what you have done. You know that when you give a person that second chance, there is a story behind it waiting to be told. Second chances can come from different people and different situations. When I entered middle school, my best friend and I decided not to be friends anymore. We would always have fights, but then I would always give her another chance and we would be best friends again. But this time, there were no second chances, our friendship was over.

When our senior year arrived, we had a class together. As the year went by, our friendship began to mend, we weren’t best friends anymore, but we were able to give our friendship a second chance. Some second chances though may take longer than a few short years. When I think of second chances, I think of one member of my family in particular. My Aunt Catherine, whom we affectionately call Aunt Katoo, is my mother’s aunt. Until recently though, she seemed like a distant relative. Since she never got married and she lived by herself, she soon became a bitter woman. After a fight with my grandmother, she refused to keep in contact with her until my grandmother became very sick. After coming back into their lives, my mother and her family decided to give Aunt Katoo another chance. But after a while, she went back to her old ways.

Because she was so distant and mean to her family, none of her family including my mother didn’t bother to invite her to family gatherings. By the time I was in high school, she was miserable and alone. One day, she fell in her home and could not get up. After that incident, her brother decided that she couldn’t live by herself anymore and brought her into a nursing home. When she was there, she became a sweet and pleasant person. We began to visit her at the home and noticed a huge difference in her. We wanted to have her back in our family so we gave her a second chance to be a part of our family. She realized that she had a second chance with her family after the way she had treated them over the years. She has a new lease on life and has become a completely changed person. Just recently, she spent Thanksgiving with us, the whole time having a huge smile on her face. She has a fresh new start with her family and in her life as well. I feel so fortunate and lucky that I’m able to be a part in her life as much as she is in mine.