Jared - Thompsontown, Pennsylvania

I believe that money and wealth can’t buy true happiness. It only buys a temporary feeling of joy that will eventually leave. Some people that have it all-wealth, power, and materials, end up feeling empty inside and strive for something more in their life because they ignore the simple things that truly matter. They struggle to find a true bliss and try to fill these empty feelings with more money and objects.

I believe the most cheerful people are those with little or no money. There could be a large family living in a mud brick house with absolutely no money or possessions, but they are still very happy because they have their family. They don’t need all the new clothes and technology to keep them in high spirits. Then, there is the individual who is living in a huge mansion with all the material possessions you could ever want, and they are dismal. They worked half their life away trying to make money to be happy and now it is too late to start a family, so they end up alone in a huge empty house. They get so caught up in obtaining more money and materials possessions that they forget what is important.

One thing people forget about is the fact that when you pass away you don’t get to take your huge sixty inch television or the ten fancy cars sitting in your garage along with you. People work so hard to obtain these things and neglect to see the most significant things in life are your family, friends, and relationship with God. Theses three things will bring people the most happiness in life and yet they are shadowed by wealth.

I believe the simplest things bring the most joy. For example, you can buy your child a very expensive gift and think that this will bring him a great deal of joy, only to find out he is playing with the box it came in.

If you would visit my hometown and see the one old man that lives in our area you would understand that money doesn’t buy happiness. The elderly man has worked his entire life and made a fortune. He lives by himself in a big beautiful house on top of a hill and has all the money anyone needs. The gentleman was never married so he has no children and now he has no family because his parents have since passed away. He has no family or friends and is all alone. The only time I see him is when he comes into our store, and he is always in a dismal mood when you speak to him. I feel bad for him because he has no one, but it was his own doing.

Hopefully, in your life you will realize that wealth and material possessions will not bring you happiness. The things that will are sometimes overlooked and forgotten because we get caught up in the things that don’t matter.